Tuesday, October 13, 2015

What I Watched 9/25-10/11/2015



 Thoughts after the break...

Nebraska - I had high hopes for this after having enjoyed every other Alexander Payne film that I have seen, so I was disappointed that I just thought that it was okay. It did have some really good performances in it, and I liked how the film looked.

Curb Your Enthusiasm: The Complete Eight Season - I finally got around to watching the last season (so far) of Curb, and I really liked it. I kind of wished that they would of left LA for New York sooner than they did, but I thought that the change of location really helped give the show a different type of energy, while still feeling like classic Curb.

Touch of Evil - I never disliked it, but it seems like it improves for me every time that I watch it. The blu-ray looks really nice.

The Palm Beach Story - Preston Sturges films just hit the right spot for me. They are purely fun movies, and even though I have the older boxset of his movies on dvd, I will replace them on blu-ray as Criterion releases them.

4 James Stewart Westerns: Night Passage - I enjoyed it. More thoughts here.

Easy Rider - From the Criterion BBS boxset. I think that I appreciate it more for it did in terms of what it did to and for cinema. I think it's a well made film, but it doesn't connect with me.

Doctor Who: The Sun Makers - a fairly typical Tom Baker Who serial. I liked it, but it isn't a standout story.

TCM Greatest Classic Films : Hitchcock Thrillers: Suspicion, I Confess, The Wrong Man - I had picked this set up for cheap from Moviestop, and I had only seen Strangers on a Train prior to purchasing this set. I liked all three, but I would probably say that Suspicion was the best of the three.

The Last Dragon - It's cheesy but fun. I don't think that I would like it if I saw it now for the first time. Tiamak is great when he's fighting, but kind of bad any time he has to talk.

Avengers Age of Ultron - I think that I liked it better the second time around. I never disliked it, and I don't agree that it is overstuffed. I think that Joss Whedon handled the large cast better than anyone else could of.

Five Easy Pieces -  From the Criterion BBS boxset. As opposed to Easy Rider, this one I loved, and I am glad that I waited until now to finally see it. I don't think that I younger me would fully appreciate it.

NOT PICTURED:
Ida - I streamed it on Netflix. I think it is a very well made movie, but it isn't one that I could see myself watching again.

Texas Rangers - a garbage movie. More thoughts here.

No comments:

Post a Comment